Thursday, March 25, 2004

So yesterday I came in to work to find out that my cell... umm, I mean cubicle was occupied by Greg (some other guy at work). A few minutes later I noticed that, although all my stuff is still in my cubicle the nameplate says Greg. I look at Greg's normal cubicle and it has my name on it. I ask my super and sure enough, I'd been moved. LOL. I don't mind though. I mean if given a choice I wouldn't have moved but doesn't really make a difference. I think they moved me cuz me and James talked too much... hehehe. But the thing is that in my old row (of cubicles) I didn't really talk that much. Most of the people are pretty quiet. In my new row they're much more talkative and they like to play around. I guess that defeated the purpose of me changing seats... LOL. Anyway, work has been slow lately so it's not a big deal I guess.

Felicia had an interview today for a part time receptionist job. My baby was sooooo nervous. She has been out of the work force for almost two years now since before Fabianna was born in 2002. I know she's gonna get it because she doesn't like sitting around the house doing nothing. Hopefully everything will turn out great.

A little while ago my mom had a sleep study. I bitched about being signed up to spend the night in the sleep clinic with her. Anyway, she was diagnosed with a little something called Sleep Apnea. I have never heard of it but here's what I uncovered from American Sleep Apnea Association.

"The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." There are three types of apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed; of the three, obstructive is the most common. Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep. In central sleep apnea, the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. Mixed apnea, as the name implies, is a combination of the two. With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.

Sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Risk factors include being male, overweight, and over the age of forty, but sleep apnea can strike anyone at any age, even children. Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences.

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues."


My mom had been constantly complaining of waking up exhausted and without the will to get out of bed. So they found out that she wakes up or goes through 21 apnias per hour! Her brain jolts her every 3 minutes when she's trying to sleep cuz she stops breathing. Well, I think I am gonna do the same study because I feel the same way in the morning and throughout the day. I wake up fatigued as if I had not slept in days. But, as opposed to my mom, I have two other factors to take into consideration before I take the sleep study which may be causing this problem as well. So now I have to determine if the way I feel is because I have hypothyroidism, insomnia or now this newly discovered condition. I have had problems sleeping since I was a young little boy... hehe. Now, with the girls up all night I have been able to just pass out due to exhaustion but it's not a good feeling the following morning either. Hopefully I will get my health back in track here soon. Felicia is planning on beginning to work out soon so I will start with her.



No comments: