Monday, March 15, 2004

THE EVIL EYE!


is>


Does anyone know what The Evil Eye is? No? Anyone?.... wehehehehehell!!!!!!! Let me tell you my faithful reader and only friend...

The evil eye is the name for a sickness transmitted -- usually without intention -- by someone who is envious, jealous, or covetous. It is also called the invidious eye and the envious eye. In Hebrew it is ayin ha'ra (the evil eye), which in Yiddish is variously spelled ayin horoh, ayin hora, or ayen hara. In mainland Italian it is mal occhio (the bad eye) and in Spanish mal de ojo or el ojo (the bad eye or just the eye). In Sicily it is jettatore (the projection [from the eye]) and in Farsi it is bla band (the eye of evil).

The evil eye belief is that a person -- otherwise not malific in any way -- can harm you, your children, your livestock, or your fruit trees, by *looking at them* with envy and praising them. The word "evil" is unfortunate in this context because it implies that someone has "cursed" the victim, but such is not the case. A better understanding of the term "evil eye" is gained if you know that the old British and Scottish word for it is "overlooking," which implies merely that the gaze has remained too long upon the coveted object, person, or animal. In other words, the effect of the evil eye is misfortunate, but the person who harbors jealousy and gives the evil eye is not necessarily an evil person per se.

Feel enlightened yet, Neo?

Anyway, why is this dork telling us of the dreaded evil eye you asketh? Here's why...

On Sunday night I had to spend the night at the sleep clinic with my mom because they are conducting some type of sleep study on her. Serg signed me up for it without even asking me first so I didn't wanna leave my mom hanging. Anyway, earlier that Sunday we had grilled out some steaks and stuff and Fabianna was with us at the pool where the grill is. My mom and two younger brothers live in an apartment complex hence the "grill is in the pool" line. Anyway, my mom immediately noticed that Fabianna was acting a little weird... a little more fussy than usual. But we paid no mind. Me and my mom were supposed to be at the sleep clinic by 7:30, 8 pm the latest. So shortly before 7 I went to drop off Felicia and the babies at our house. Well, as soon as we walked in the house Fabianna began crying hysterically! I kid you now, you'd think someone was beating this little girl to death! Every time I tried to put her down or give her to Felicia she would go ballistic. We though we could put her to sleep or something but it was obvious that she was absolutely fucking terrified of something. When I tried to put her down or anything she would cry inconsolably. It got to the point that we thought there was something seriously wrong with her so I called my mom cuz it was already like 10 til 8 and I wasn't able to make her stop being hysterical. My mom then told me that probably someone gave her the evil eye and gave me the Mexican remedy... LOL. She told me to grab an egg and rub it all over her body while praying The Lord's Prayer in Spanish (called Padre Nuestro which actually means Our Father). Then I was supposed to crack the egg in a glass filled with warm water and apparently something was supposed to appear and fix the baby right up.... Isn't this a PAGAN ritual of some sorts???? You silly Christians make me laugh... LOL... just kidding... I refused to do it... mostly cuz me and Felicia haven't gone grocery shopping and I ate the last egg that morning... HEHEHE. So we couldn't make her stop and I was hurting so bad cuz I couldn't make her feel safe that I told my mom to go ahead with Serg and I will catch up. Felicia decided to go spend the night at Sharmeen's house cuz she didn't want to deal with both babies alone like that. During the trip to Sharmeen's house and even when I dropped them off, Fabianna began yelling and crying hysterically if I went more than 3 feet away from her. I had to bit the bullet and leave her crying at Sharmeen's house. Felicia told me she crying for a solid 10 minutes before she fell asleep. She'd doing better now and she doesn't seem scared anymore. So hopefully it was a one night thing and IF I EVER FIND THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO GAVE MY LITTLE FABIANNA THE EVIL EYE I WILL POKE YOUR EYES OUT WITH RED HOT BAMBOO SHOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Or at least I'll cuss your ass out... either way, we ought to have a lot of fun, huh!

I am excited about something I still can't talk about cuz I don't wanna jinx it or get in trouble for it. But I will hopefully be able to talk about real soon.... Ok, bye.

No comments: