Monday, May 11, 2009

DINING ROOM SET

I was finally able to get my dining room set into my apartment this weekend. I bought the run-down table and chairs at the flea market several months ago. I immediately fell in love with the table which is the whole inspiration for my music themed dining room.

Tabletop

One of the albums, the only one I actually recognized is by none other than Eric Carmen (sorry for the Wikipedia link, his site seems to be down). I really didn't recognize any of the other artists and I've not gotten around to researching.

There are only two chairs in the pic below cuz the other two are being worked on in the balcony... we'll get to that later.

With only two chairs

Anyway, I wasn't very thrilled with the chairs. Originally they had this bright, nasty yellow paint and simply seemed much more damaged than the table (which was pretty damaged to start with). Ultimately Becky convinced me to buy them and refurbish them somehow.

Since then we've thrown several ideas around which ranged from just painting them with cool a la Ed Hardy vintage tattoo designs to replacing them with new chairs. Ultimately, we decided to peel a bunch of beer and wine labels and cover the chairs with them. We've been peeling and collecting labels for several months and we finally have enough for two chairs. About a month ago, I decided to use all my old CD sleeves for this project (instead of just using them to clutter my living room). I started snipping all the artwork from my CDs which will now be used to decorate every inch of the two remaining chairs.

Seat

legs

I started this one which so far only has a few cut outs attached. After the entire chair is covered I will throw a waterproof polyurethane to seal everything together.

I am starting to take measurement for the walls so I can begin putting the album covers, vinyl albums and CDs on the wall. Hopefully I'll have it all done by the weekend!

2 comments:

Daniel Christopher Berryhill said...

That table is awesome! And those chairs are a great idea. Props for using album art in such a creative way that you can enjoy every day.

I'm curious to see what the final result will look like. And how the whole music themed dining area (or kitchen...or whatever) fits together.

Thumbs.

Anonymous said...

I am very much impressed by your blog, you can find more Dining Room Sets that suites your budget.