Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Well, so many things have happened recently...

Me and Felicia have been working out our communication problems rather well. We have become more open with each other and have agreed not to hide anything from each other. I am glad to announce that I have kept my side of the bargain and I am pretty sure she has too.

Economically though, we've been suffering a lot. Sadly, my company doesn't pay what they should to compensate for the type and quality of work they demand of us. On June 6, it will be my one year anniversary with GCS. I don't really feel any different than a year ago. The company has gone through a lot of changes, mostly for the better... but we went from being employees to becoming another tool in our cubicles. Oh well, the company had to turn us into that to be the well oiled money making machine they want to be.

Anyway, me and Felicia have been desperately trying to get part time jobs because things have gone down hill. Felicia has even considered returning to Wells Fargo. Now, the reason I say that is because she utterly hates that place. Well, if anyone has any part time openings out there... let us know.

Sadly, due to the lack of money we missed City Fest. Due to the rain, we missed the Taste of Charlotte and due to DOWNTOWN being overcrowded and not being able to find a parking space, we also missed the Ciao Italia! Festival. On the plus side, me and Felicia have tried to spend more quality time together and we took the kids to the park to spend the afternoon. That was more fun than I though it would be. We also hung out with this other interracial couple in a Cuban club. ON Mother's day we visited her grandmother and her mom and then we went out with my family to celebrate my mom. We have spent time together, with the babies and alone.

I got her a cool pin for mother's day because I really couldn't afford what I really wanted to give her. When I can afford it, I'm not gonna wait for a special date to give it to her though. I can't say what it is cuz I want it to be a nice surprise.

Anyway, I got this idea that I wanted to produce this Public Access show. When I was in college in Houston, me and some friends and roommates had made a self produced 30-minute low budget PA show called "Grito Alternativo". The show was basically a showcase for local, Latin rock, punk, garage, surf and mostly rockish type bands who sang is Spanish. Anyway, all we did was interview the little dumb kids and showed live footage of them or low budget pseudo videos they made themselves. Anyway, it had a pretty cool following cuz the Hispanic (especially Mexican) culture in Houston is rather large. Now, as opposed to Charlotte and the rest of NC, the vast majority of the Mexican population in Houston are not the little cement plastered, construction working, dishwasher, landscapers that seem to thrive here. Houston's Mexican population is very diverse. Hence, the "rock" scene as well as any other scene had a pulse, again... unlike that of Charlotte's cuz all the Mexican's in Charlotte listen to is that loud ass tacky folk peasant music. Anyway, my idea was to recreate that type of show here in Charlotte. The Hispanic population is growing rapidly... I mean, I'm sure you guys hear that shit everyday. But apparently, in this pseudo metro city (two cows, a church and a pasture!) in order to purchase air time in public access you have to take classes and do all types of weird shit. (this is what my friend Shelly told me, she's a film major at UNCC and she's done it before so I believed her.) Anyway, if I do want to go ahead and do it though, I will need to make a census of the Hispanic population here and then... make another one within the Hispanic population to find out how many people would be even remotely interested in that music. If not enough then It would be pointless. As far as I know... I've only heard of one Latin rock band in the area called "La Rua". I've actually heard them and they're a cover band... a big NO NO in our original show but since I don't have much to go on they will have to do. I am going to try to contact them. There's another one called "Peralta" but they play mostly Santanish-type music (and I've always hated Santana's music) so they wouldn't exactly fit the mold of the type of music showcased in this show. Oh, well, I guess this is all just daydreaming but it won't hurt anybody huh?

Anyway, I guess this has been going on for too long... bye.

No comments: