Saturday, February 28, 2004

I finally uploaded Larissa's photos to my server. Check her out, isn't she cute?








This is my wife Felicia with Larissa in the hospital.



This be I... With both of my daughters Fabianna and Larissa.


It's been interesting and extremely busy with both of the babies in the house. At first, everytime Larissa cried, Fabianna began crying too.... LOL. That was funny but she quickly got over that. Fabianna doesn't seem to be jealous of Larissa, at least not yet. Fabianna likes touching, hugging and kissing her all the time. She doesn't cry or act silly when Felicia is feeding or putting Larissa to sleep. Fabianna right now follows me more. She wouldn't go to sleep last night until I got in the bed with her and she could use my arm as a pillow... LOL. I know she's getting really spoiled but, hey... that's the way my dad was with us. He loved us tooooo much, just like I love my kids more than anything.

It's funny how in this country and in this culture people automatically assume that I never met my father, or he wasn't part of my life or that he was abusive or an alcoholic. Paternal negligence or abuse in this country has become the norm practically. In all levels of economic and social hierarchy. Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere... but for example, in Mexico, aside from the extremely poor rural areas... this is highly unacceptable for both males and females. Most of the middle to upper class families will not tolerate this behavior or if it does happen, the father is usually frowned upon heavily. But here, it's second nature. I grew up with my father, he loved me and my two younger brothers. He loved and respected my mother until the day he died. They did have their difficulties and at one point came close to divorce... no relationship is perfect I assume. But, he was always there for us, unconditionally. It doesn't bother me for people to ask me if my father was part of my life. I am proud to tell them yes he was, and he loved me very much. But it is sad to see that here it is so acceptable people have the need to ask.

One time, when Felicia was pregnant with Fabianna in 2002, we went to a new parent seminar type thing. They separated the mothers from the fathers. In the mother's room there were about 25-30 women. Only 5 of them, including Felicia, had their husbands or boyfriends with them. 5 out of fucking 30!. Anyway, so we get thrown into the "daddy's room" with some priest who was to conduct the seminar (Funny how it was failed to mention to me until I got there that the seminar was christian oriented, LOL). The priest did his little intro and in it he mentioned that his father was not part of his life and this priest became "like the father he never had" and blah blah blah... Then, just like in Kindergarten, he wanted to go around the table and introduce ourselves and talk about our lives and fathers. I went last cuz I'm a rebel like that... lol. Well, everybody, except for me had some horrible story of abuse, neglect or alcoholism. When it came time for me to, presumably give my horrible story... I simply told them the truth... and they looked at me as if I was the abnormal one!!!!! It was almost as if they didn't believe me. I guess the priest noticed I felt uncomfortable that I was being drilled with dumb questions and steered the focus away to another subject. I'm telling you, it was one of the oddest moments I've had in a while because I felt bad for children... it was as if, at that exact moment I realized how bad children have it nowadays with parents who have experienced those situations... but what can you do except type your little frustration rant in your lame blog and hope one day everything goes back to normal..... IT'S A MADHOUSE, A MADHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm getting carried away with the Planet of the Apes quotes, lol


No comments: