Thursday, August 12, 2004

THE 26 BEST RAP/HIP HOP ALBUMS I'VE EVER OWNED

Ok, the first thing I need to disclaim is that I am not what you would call a rap/hip-hop fanatic. I like some but overall I don't have the largets selection in my collection (which I can boast is rather large =o). Most of my interaction with rap/hip-hop was during the early to mid 90's. Before then I listened to punk and after that I listened to punk... actually, during that time I mostly listened to punk too but most of my friends were into this music so I started picking up things I liked too. I am not a rap/hip-hop historian or claim to have the best taste in rap or that I've heard everything out there.... I say all this cuz I know some people can be rather sensitive or easily insulted by "perpetrators" in their music/culture like myself... lol. Why did I chose this genre? Well, out of all the other genres I listen to, there was no way in hell I could have made a list of at least less than 100 favorite albums... not to mention, my favorite albums on genres I actively love change constantly where as to this genre I can pretty much say I don't listen to it anymore cuz I don't like the new shit out there... Jay-Z, Ludacris, Sisqo and all the MTV shit I can't stand.

Anyway, so here are the 26 (I tried to make it 25, but I couldn't get DJ Quik out) best Rap/Hip-Hip albums I've owned (and yes, in case you were wondering, I own much more than 26 albums in this genre.... NOOCH!)

26. QUIK IS THE NAME.


Artist: DJ Quik
Release date: 1988
Cool tracks Quik is the name and Born and Raised in Compton.



25. NO ONE CAN DO IT BETTER.


Artist: The D.O.C.
Release date: 1989
Cool tracks It's funky enough and The lesson.



24. MUCHO BARATO.


Artist: Control Machete
Release date: 1997
Cool tracks Comprendes Mendes, Humanos Mexicanos, Control Machete.



23. SPICE-1.


Artist: Spice-1
Release date: 1992
Cool tracks In my neighborhood, 187 proof, Peace to my nine and Welcome to the ghetto.



22. ILLMATIC.


Artist: Nas
Release date: 1994
Cool tracks Memory Lane and N.Y. state of mind.



21. READY TO DIE.


Artist: Notorious B.I.G.
Release date: 1994
Cool tracks Big Poppa, Gimme the loot and Warning.



20. AMERIKKKA'S MOST WANTED.


Artist: Ice Cube
Release date: 1990
Cool tracks Pretty much the entire album.



19. GETO BOYS.


Artist: Geto Boys
Release date: 1990
Cool tracks Trigga happy nigga, Scarface, City under siege.



18. BLACK SUNDAY.


Artist: Cypress Hill
Release date: 1993
Cool tracks I ain't going out like that, Insane in the brain, 3 lil' putos and Legalize it.



17. FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET.


Artist: Public Enemy
Release date: 1994
Cool tracks Brothas gonna work it out, 911 is a joke, Welcome to the terrordome, anti-nigger machine.



16. TICAL.


Artist: Method Man
Release date: 1994
Cool tracks Bring the pain, All I need, Stimulation and Method Mad (remix).



1. THE LOW END THEORY.


Artist: A Tribe Called Quest
Release date: 1991
Cool tracks Scenario, Verses from the abstract, The infamous date rape and CHeck the rhime.



14. SOUTHERNPLAYALISTICADILLACMUSIK.


Artist: Outkast
Release date: 2000
Cool tracks I don't think there's a single song in this album that doesn't stand out.



13. RETURN TO THE 36 CHAMBERS.


Artist: Ol' Dirty Bastard
Release date: 1995
Cool tracks Shimmy shimmy ya, Brooklyn zoo, and shit, pretty much the entire album was a unique experience!.



12. YO! BUM RUSH THE SHOW.


Artist: Public Enemy
Release date: 1987
Cool tracks Sophisticated bitch, Public Enemy No. 1, Yo! Bum rush the show, Terminator X speaks with his hands.



11. DEAD SERIOUS.


Artist: DAS EFX
Release date: 1992
Cool tracks They want EFX, Mic Checka, Straight from da sewer.



10. REACHIN' (A NEW REFUTATION OF TIME AND SPACE).


Artist: Digable Planets
Release date: 1993
Cool tracks Where I'm from, Rebirth of slicl (cool like that), Jimmi diggin cats, Nickle bags, Swoon units.



9. CYPRESS HILL.


Artist: Cypress Hill
Release date: 1991
Cool tracks Pigs, How could I just kill a man?, Latin lingo, Tres equis and Hand on the pump.



8. RUN DMC.


Artist: Run DMC
Release date: 1983
Cool tracks It's like that, Rock box and Wake up



7. LETHAL INJECTION.


Artist: Ice Cube
Release date: 1993
Cool tracks You know how we do it, Really doe, Bop gun, Lil' ass gee.



6. STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON.


Artist: N.W.A.
Release date: 1990
Cool tracks Straight outta Compton, Gangsta gangsta, Express yourself, and I ain't da 1.



5. PAUL'S BOUTIQUE.


Artist: Beastie Boys
Release date: 1989
Cool tracks Ummmmm, ALL OF THEM!



4. BIZARRE RIDE 2: THE PHARCYDE.


Artist: Da Pharcyde
Release date: 1992
Cool tracks Oh shit, Pack the pipe, Ya mamma, Passing me by.



3. DOGGYSTYLE.


Artist: Snoop Dogg (as Snoop Doggy Dogg)
Release date: 1993
Cool tracks Gin and Juice, Lodi Dodi, Murder was the case, Who am I? (What's my name?).



2. ENTER THE WU-TANG.


Artist: Wu-Tang Clan
Release date: 1993
Cool tracks C.R.E.A.M., Method Man, Tearz, Brind da ruckus, Protect ya neck.



1. THE CHRONIC.


Artist: Dr. Dre
Release date: 1992
Cool tracks The Chronic (intro), Wit Dre Day (And everybody's celebratin'), Let me ride, The day the niggaz took over, Nuthin' but a "G" thang, Deeez Nuuuts, Lil' ghetto boy, A nigga witta gun, Rat-tat-tat-tat, The $20 sack pyramid, Lyrical gangbang, High powered, The doctor's office, Stranded on death row, The roach (The chronic outro) and Bitches ain't shit... oh wait, that's the entire fucking album!

Well, that's it.... I know the real hardcore, hip-hop fanatics are gonna have a field day clowing my taste in rap... but fuck'em. hehe...

The wallpaper in the link on the title of this post is the cover for the Gravediggaz's (of which the Rza was part of) Six Feet Deep (also known as Niggamortis) which I also had along with the Flatlinerz's U.S.A. It was the rap equivalent of death metal. I loved it... but it didn't seem to sit well with others.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

javi, i thought i told you i have 2 jobs. i barely have time to sleep, let alone play on the internet *sniff* except on the weekends. hmmm. i'm hungry. i'd like a nice steak right now....ok i'm back! Sorry about the random thought! and yes, you know me, i've talked to mr man again. yeah ima big jerk.

Anonymous said...

Please check out this website and set these assholes straight. You don't know me, but I know alot about you from your blog. You're under my favorites!!! http://www.twelvefifteen.com/wsnm/news.php?artc=14. It's really ridiculous. I know you're Mexican so please check it out and give me some feedback. My e-mail is ayiana@comcast.net