Friday, April 09, 2010

MY AUNT LAURE & CANCER

I just received a telephone call from my mother informing me that my favorite "Tia" Laura has been diagnosed with cancer. Not sure of the details but she is in Oklahoma enduring the arduous pilgrimage to chemotherapy alone as I type this.

Laura is a beacon of hope to all of us who've been fortunate to cross paths with her. She is the epitome of that person who spits life in the face and dares it to spit back.

She taught me the assimilation of individuality and the standard issued rebellion. The simple yet ethereal joy of an aged Merlot and the harshness of a cheap cigarettes. To laugh out loud at yourself and the importance of home ownership.

Until today I did not know this... but she taught me how to be happy despite of life.

No comments: